View Single Post
Old 26th January 2016, 11:51   #782  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamBIT_Rus View Post
You dont have to worry. Whey do understand that they're doing.
Well, I don't think so. There are too many butchered (or cropped to 800 pixels) 3D video on the net to even imagine that it is a good think to let the users do that. They do NOT understand the implications of cropping a 3D video, otherwise you'll NEVER see cropped 3D movies.

Also, I forgot to give the most important argument against cropping, resizing and/or zooming: subtitles. The 3D subtitles are authored to be placed on a precise position on screen, and they cannot be moved elsewhere because the depth of a precise subtitle is computed so that it doesn't enter within the surrounding objects or characters. So, if you crop and resize the original video, even if you maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio, the subtitles will still be at their original positions on screen, now wrong in the scene. That's also something to take into account. Do you imagine a crop option available only when no subtitles are demuxed, and prohibited elsewhere? (I agree that it should be possible to hardcode the subtitles BEFORE the crop and resize, so that they are still at the right position, but unfortunately BD3D2MK3D hardcodes the final 3D subtitles on the combined Half-SBS/T&B video, at the very end of the operation. I don't want to change that. And anyway, that will not work for muxed subtitles.)

So, there are too many good reasons to refuse to implement that, and no good reason to do it, except perhaps the popularity of BD3D2MK3D. But since BD3D2MK3D is not a commercial program, the number of users doesn't matter much. I want it to be the best 3DBD converter, and I will not add features that will lower its quality just to attract more peoples. In other words, peoples who think that cropping is a good thing should use DVDFab. (IIRC, it does the cropping automatically by default!) I keep BD3D2MK3D for the expert and demanding users, and they should know that cropping is never an advantage.

If I add a "Crop" button somewhere in the GUI, that will be ONLY to display a message explaining why a 3D clip should NEVER be cropped. Certainly not to do it!