View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:07   #829  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the information. I'll check your presets soon. Currently, I'm checking various combinations of different SAR and DAR with all my players, in the hope that a de-facto standard can emerge. I'll post my findings here...

For the subtitles, I did already know the possibility to convert 2D text subtitles (usually SRT) to 3D ASS, but I know also that it is (currently) not possible to use the real 3D depth extracted from the 3D planes, and for me it's a major drawback. I did not know srt23Dass, but I know this web site, where you can convert your SRT to 3D ASS online.

BTW, it should be possible to add a tool in BD3D2MK3D to convert a SRT stream to 3D ASS with the correct depth values from the original 3D-Planes, and the correct positions on screen (cloned from the positions of an original BD SUP). I have never tried to implement that tool, simply because there are no textual subtitles in 3D BDs, and if the user downloads a SRT somewhere, most of the times, it will not be perfectly in sync, and the final depths of the individual subtitles can be wrong if they are taken from wrong start and end times. Also, it is not always easy to find the subtitles in your native language. And, finally, many players do not display the 3D ASS streams correctly, and show the subtitle only over one of the two views. And, of course, most hardware players cannot use ASS streams at all. So, IMO, 3D ASS subtitles are not really more interesting than 3D SUP. However, a tool to convert the original SUP stream to 3D ASS (with a first step to convert the bitmaps to text/SRT) would be very interesting. I know only two programs to convert the SUP to SRT: SupRip and the excellent Subtitle Edit. They work, but they are very limited, they have no automatic OCR, and they are somewhat tedious to use. Therefore, I don't think that many BD3D2MK3D users will be interested in a tool to convert the subtitles to 3D ASS. If someone is really interested, I may add that tool later...

BTW, someone knows a good BD SUP to SRT (or HD VobSub to SRT) converter, if possible with fully automatic OCR and semi-automatic spell correction? If such a tool exists, it will motivate me to work on a SRT to 3D ASS tool.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd March 2016 at 13:10.