View Single Post
Old 28th May 2004, 13:41   #498  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: feed & queries

Quote:
Originally posted by pelmen
my setup is a computer with sound audigy and cambridge soundworks 5.1 amp/speakers and i connect my dvd players audio to the same amp. with the audigy card it plays 2.0 sources to all 5.1 channels already (but i'd like to put things onto DVDR so i can do other work with my computer). does anyone know how the bidule approach compares to the audigy? or even making use of the audigy hardware somehow if it is better to do hardware processing into 6 channel wav files?
Pelmen,

If you haven't done so already, run (don't walk) all the way to www.kxproject.com and see if your Audigy model works with the kx drivers. These are free ASIO-compatible drivers for the Creative Labs cards based on either of two EMU DSPs (most internal Soundblaster Live's, Audigy's and Audigy 2's) and they can turn your card into a much more powerful tool for music. Their DSP applet is very similar to Plogue Bidule in that you can customize routing and connections graphically to suit your needs. With your system, you could easily create bidules with multichannel ASIO outputs for realtime monitoring of your surround mixes. In Plogue, if you're sample rate is set to 44.1k, just insert a kX ASIO output device (15 channels), or if at 48k, a kX ASIO Duplex input/output device (15 channels each way). Then check your routings in the kX DSP to make sure you're routing the 5.1 channels properly. After that in Plogue, you can connect each channel in real time while playing back and experimenting with different approaches, settings, etc.