View Single Post
Old 7th July 2013, 14:21   #1  |  Link
DanielSB

Tool or plugin to detect effective visual resolution of a video?

Hi

I've been wondering about this for awhile with regards to ripping Blu-Ray content to something smaller and more portable.

Often, especially with older color film shot up to about the late nineties, ripping them to 1080p is pointless, as the source is way too soft to give you that amount of actual detail (save for noise, which sometimes is nice enough to keep). Sometimes it seems that even 720p would be wasted on them (like with really cheap 8mm productions, or just low-grade equipment and lenses).

It'd seem reasonable to resize these videos to whatever their actual effective optical resolution is before encoding them to whatever target I'm going for. What that resolution exactly is, however, can be pretty tricky to determine. Even if you sample yourself to something that seems reasonable in one scene, it might not be representative of the entire film. Some scenes might be shot under better conditions, at a different aperture, using better equipment, etc.

So I'm wondering if there exists some kind of tool or plugin that's able to scan a video source for visual resolution, sort of like a media player might scan your tracks for volume levels.

I find it pretty difficult to search for on Google — so now I'm asking here, where so many experts hang out

Hope to hear something positive from you

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Last edited by DanielSB; 7th July 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Spelling
DanielSB is offline   Reply With Quote