View Single Post
Old 19th March 2021, 05:44   #67  |  Link
johnmeyer

The test clip has lots of problems besides gate weave:

1. Horrible encoding artifacts.
2. Really bad flicker
3. Dirt

To fix these I first IVTC'd the clip. Since it is animation where the dup pattern is unpredictable I used large Cycle/CycleR values in TIVTC. I am not an animation expert so I don't know if the result of removing duplicates will make the cartoon play strangely. Someone else will have to address that. However, to remove dirt, denoise, eliminate flicker, etc. you have to remove all dups.

I used Depan to stabilize, but it didn't do a good job with the rotational stability issues. Most film doesn't have these. So I used Deshaker instead.

I took that stabilized footage and fed it into my film script (which is posted elsewhere in this forum). I turned off the Depan stabilization, since that work was already done, but enabled Deflicker, set DCT=1 for the noise reduction, and enabled GamMac. Each of these three things helps reduce flicker.

I turned up the dirt and noise reduction too far which results in some Jello artifacts. If this was important (to me) I'd go back and fiddle around with those. Here is the result:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/svdnm...noise.mp4/file
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote