View Single Post
Old 17th November 2012, 00:24   #12  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Unfortunately I have different opinion on this. Outside of professional 3D and 2.5D editing software, where high bitdepth often used for better control in manipulating with color or may represent something like strength of light that goes through less than 100% opaque obstacles (and also maybe x264's 10bit streams too), I don't believe in high bitdeph. In other words using more than 8bits for things like resize, denoise or whatever in my opinion gives so little improvements, that it not worth even one extra cpu cycle spent on it.

This rises another question. Is it possible to estimate how big is speed difference between similar colorspace (or some other) conversions (8bit in - 8bit out) using this plugin compared to avisynth? (assuming everything is done in 1 thread)
I deal with different type of data and done many test, which actually surprised me.

a= take 10bit HD file and scale at 8bit to SD.
b= take 10bit HD file, dither it and scale to SD (at 8bit).
c= take same file scale at 10bit to SD and than dither.

There is actually quite visible difference in all of them, but I was surprised that even b and c show visible difference. I though that there will be no real difference, but there is.

Just a not- we're talking about proper 10bit source- eg shot on RED, Alexa etc cmera.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote