View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 11:11   #3  |  Link
Russell
Russell

Converting VHS to digital files

Hi netmask, Thanks for the reply.
I did indeed buy a capture card in good old Perth, a Leadtek DTV 2000 which came with some Ulead software. (A friend installed it for me so I learned something new there which demystified the box - now I am confident to install a PCI card if the need arises). I was interested to know what the free app is that the guy in the UK won't give out the link to. Not really cricket withholding info about freeware. So thanks for the info about Handbrake.
I ultimately want to burn the converted files to DVD and watch them on the TV just as I did the VHS cassettes. Someone has recommended convertxtodvd to do this. I am wary of too much transcoding (I am fairly experienced in analog to digital in the audio realm) so is mpeg 1 or 2 or avi the best format to save in?
And yes I do mainly just want to top and tail the stuff I have but I am not averse to learning some more and getting more from the digital format. I will use the stuff I have to cut my teeth, when I know more I will look around, including Project X.
Right now I need to crawl, before I walk, before I run.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote