View Single Post
Old 27th January 2010, 04:31   #21  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Let's get this sorted. It doesn't need to be complicated or dramatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
I'll probably give this a shot. Will the size output be constrained so that it will not go beyond a certain size due to the VBV algorithms? I have no problem with going smaller and saving bits. I'm mostly worried about over allocation and going beyond what I can reasonably expect. Would I notice any speed difference between CRF and ABR?
VBV is more for enforcing peak bitrate limitations for hardware or streaming compatibility. in your case, it may not be necessary.

ABR and CRF are similar in terms of speed, though CRF will give vastly superior quality at the cost of unpredictable file sizes.

Now, as I understand it, you want to use mplayer to decode your sources so you can take advantage of its error fixing magic, and pipe the result into x264's CLI interface. That should work perfectly fine, and will enable you to "use the presets", as we've all been screaming at you to do

Do throw everything you know about settings out the window, and make another evaluation of quality:speed using only the presets Much changes, and the presets are very well chosen.

~MiSfit