View Single Post
Old 27th May 2015, 11:41   #371  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't understand what's wrong. Currently, BD3D2MK3D tries to generate the best palette, and IMO it works pretty well, although it's still not perfect. The subtitles you have loaded in the image posted in post #368 are well known to cause problems to BDSup2Sub. The problem is that in addition to the (totally) black outline, they use also a grey shadow. When BDSup2Sub uses its internal palette, that shadow is rendered with the default grey, and it is much lighter than the original grey of the outline. Therefore the subtitles look strange, especially when they are displayed over a dark background. That's exactly what the last versions of BD3D2MK3D avoid automatically. With the palette generated by BD3D2MK3D, the shadow has (or at least should have) a colour very similar to the original grey. It's a much darker grey than the one from the internal palette, and the effect of the shadow over a dark background should be satisfactory.

BTW, obviously, you have loaded the original BD SUP, and not the converted VobSub. Therefore, what you see in the image has exactly the same colours than in the BD. BD3D2MK3D cannot be responsible of any change in colours in that subtitle, since it has never modified it. And I don't see any brown colour in your picture. I have verified with an image editor, and the shadow is a pure grey. If it appears somewhat brown, it's probably due to the contrast with the blue background.

To verify if the palette generated by BD3D2MK3D is correct, you should load the BD SUP in BDSup2Sub, then load the palette generated by BD3D2MK3D, and of course set the output format to VobSub. Then you can compare the original subtitle (on top) and the subtitle as it will be if you generate the IDX/SUB file with that palette. You will probably agree that the result is good, if not perfect. (Take in mind that the result cannot be perfect due to the limitations of the VobSub format.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 27th May 2015 at 11:45.