View Single Post
Old 4th June 2009, 15:02   #1252  |  Link
opieant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
What's the deal with directx on windows 2000? Can it be updated. Have you upgraded to the latest nvidia drivers too.
Windows 2000 goes up to DirectX 9.0c just like XP. As for the nVidia drivers, generally just installing the latest XP drivers works fine. The release notes say "NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP" and the driver setup detects 2000 and says "NVIDIA Windows 2000 Display Drivers" at the top of the screen, so nVidia doesn't seem to have completely sworn off 2000 support just yet.

Only the very latest nVidia CUDA driver release (v185.85) shows any real signs of problems with 2000. It wouldn't install its control panel properly and led to a BSOD on startup. The startup BSOD problem could be worked around with the help of the "XP API Support Tool for Win2K" and the control panel probably could have been installed at that point too. Those issues are probably just a matter of nVidia recently deciding to call on XP API functions for some minor operations out of convenience and without realizing it breaks some support on 2000. The previous CUDA driver version (v181.20) installs and reboots fine except that the nVidia control panel application crashes on startup (no BSOD, just a normal application crash), but that is easily fixed by installing the user32.dll from the "XP API Support Tool for Win2K." From what I've experienced and recall, all "XP" driver releases prior to that install and function without a hitch under 2000.

FYI, I had the v185.85 CUDA drivers installed on 2000 when I tested upgrading it to XP. During XP setup the nVidia driver setup was triggered in the background so that the nVidia control panel was present when the XP install finished.