View Single Post
Old 19th January 2016, 04:07   #6  |  Link
manolito

My bitrate calculator says that (with an audio bitrate of 224) your video bitrate should be 6081 kbps. If you include a menu you should lower this bitrate a little bit.

From my own experience with 1-pass VBR FFMpeg encodes I learned that it has a tendency to undersize using default parameters. You can overcome the undersizing by adding this: -qmin 1 -lmin 175 to the command line.

AVStoDVD at its current state cannot create chapter selection menus. This will probably change in the near future, but not right now...
You could try DVDStyler for this, it can create powerful menus and is still easy to use. Out of the box it can only encode with FFMpeg in CBR mode, but for higher quality there is a plugin which can use 1-pass and 2-pass VBR modes, can use High Quality parameters and supports Custom Quant Matrices (incidentally written by me...)

I won't get into a dispute about if FFMpeg or HCenc is the better encoder. To beat a HCenc encode in 2-pass VBR mode using the BEST profile and a suitable matrix is not so easy IMO (maybe CCE SP3, but you pay $$$). At least for lower bitrates (below 3500) FFMpeg can be just as good or even better in HQ 2-pass VBR mode. Got to try it for yourself...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote