View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2015, 01:41   #14  |  Link
gamebox

My encoding just got an appreciable quality boost now that I used some time to evaluate different combinations of options rwill mentioned. I finally chose to use Trellis 2 for all encodes I do. Increased blocking in certain object's edges I saw in my previous encodes was traced down to PSY-Trellis' bias of 0.15. Without bias (set to 0.00) Trellis 2 proved to be a higher quality option than Trellis 1 in about 80-85 percent of the frames I analyzed. As a result of finer Trellis, quantizers got better by about 2, so a movie previously encoded with quants of 23/24/25 now has enough bitrate to use 22-23 (occasionally even 21 or 20). Curiously enough, Trellis 2, despite bitrate reductions, also preserved substantially more background details. Savings in bitrate and a quantizer boost led me to drop mbtree too to adapt encoding to this "special" sort of material where focus is exactly on the area of changing textures, although on evaluation dropped mbtree didn't seem to create any detectable visual difference. The encoding speed, however, suffered a permanent 15-20 percent hit, though it seems bearable for now.
gamebox is offline   Reply With Quote