View Single Post
Old 4th November 2008, 08:05   #5  |  Link
BassPig

I just finished a battery of tests, including Prime95 doing memory-intensive testing and the system passed every test set.

I should emphasize that VLC doesn't BSOD with every VOB file I play--those from earlier projects are fine. It's just the VOBs from this latest project that are crashing the system. The fact that only these VOBs cause the BSODs and that only these VOBs fail the data verification in Nero, draws suspicion to them. However, I have no other means of testing the files to see what it is about them that makes them have this peculiar trait of crashing the VLC player. When burned to DVD, they don't do anything peculiar.

As a side note, I need to mention that I experienced a number of BSODs two weeks ago when attempting to burn a DVD while Adobe Premiere CS3 was rendering an MPEG file. Each time this occured, the BSOD said that "a critical system process has stopped responding.." That rather disturbed me, but then, I'd never burned a DVD in the background while rendering MPEG files before, so I don't know if it's just an inability of XP to handle multitasking of resources, or a problem specific to this system.

SYSTEM CONFIG:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
XFX PVT80GTHF9 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mushkin Hp2-6400 Ddr2 4gb Kit
Western Digital Caviar HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS
SILVERSTONE TEMJIN SST-TJ06S-W Silver Aluminum
Seasonic S12 Energy Plus SS- 650HT Power Supply
LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray burner
HP LP3065 30" LCD Display
Turtle Beach Montego DDL 7.1 Dolby Digital
Pioneer DVR-112D
ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Contour Shuttle-Pro

ADDITIONAL INFO:

After the BSOD from playing ANY VOB file of 1GB or larger, upon reboot, VLC won't run anymore. "VLC Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close" is all the program will generate. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it works fine until I attempt to play the large VOB files again. At which time I get the BSOD in cmudaX3.sys. After rebooting, VLC media player is damaged and needs reinstall.

I thought that a Maxtor OneTouch drive that I had installed in the past month might be the problem, as the system problems seemed to start around that time, but having disconnected it solved nothing.

I suppose I can try replacing all the system drivers for each peripheral one by one.

We did have a lengthy power outage from a storm two weeks ago and it exceeded the run time of the APC 3000 UPS, so the system did get powered down while Windows was loaded, but it is rare that Windows gets damaged unless there is disc activity, but on an idle system overnight, I doubt that would be the case.

UPDATE 2:

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the Turtle Beach Montego DDL drivers (cmudaX3.sys) and retested and the problem persists, so it's not a corrupt cmudaX3.sys driver file and I have the most recent driver installed.

What's really annoying is that every time the system BSODs with VLC player, I have to uninstall and reinstall VLC to get it working again, otherwise it just generates an error report.

Short term solution for now is to disassociate .VOB extentions with VLC Media Player.

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

www.mwhdvideo.com The Best in Video & Sound
www.ampexperts.com
www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 20,000 Watts of Driving Stereo!
-

Last edited by BassPig; 4th November 2008 at 10:35.
BassPig is offline   Reply With Quote