Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 7th October 2013, 06:52   #116  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Separating *all* the filters out of core is not my plan either, actually. I already made external plugins out of many functions that IMHO do not belong into the core, like DirectShowSource, audio timestrething, support for vdub filters etc, and maybe I'll do the same with a few more, but I think too that the core library should be usable on its own too. When I spoke about a step-by-step porting process with a growing set of x64 filters, I was thinking of #ifdef-ing around filter code and gradually enabling them in builds as porting advances.

I *do* support moving seldomly used filters out of the core, so reviewing what belongs there and what not could go onto the TODO list, but I too don't think that the core sould be totally bare and empty of filters. Moving them out, as TurboPascal7 mentioned, is not hard. It is actually so easy that it could be an introductory exercise for anybody wanting to contribute.

ARDA mentioned a DLL loading limit in Avisynth: in the most recent version of the non-plus Avisynth, it is 50. This limit has already been removed from Avisynth+. It was artificial and not-needed in the first place, and it probably got introduced because people were compiling plugins with a static CRT, in which case Windows imposes a limit of 128 loaded DLLs (at least that's the observable effect, the true reason lies elsewhere, but that's a different story). Anyway, my point is, as long as our plugins are linked against a dynamic CRT, having many DLLs should not pose a problem.