View Single Post
Old 31st October 2018, 15:09   #974  |  Link
jamt

Couple random questions

@videofan3d Thanks for continuing to support this tool, I've been using it with great success for a couple years now.

I had a couple random questions that have been in the back of my mind for a long time. So not really that important but keep meaning to ask..

1) When transcoding from an MVC file the easiest way to do so (from the docs) is something like

Quote:
FRIMDecode -i:mvc input.h264 input_depend.h264 -sbs -o - | FRIMEncode -sbs 2 -i - -o:mvc combined.h264 -w 1920 -h 1080 -f 23.976 -vbr 28000 40000
This uses sbs as an intermediate format; would tab work exactly the same? I always expected tab would be more efficient since it doesn't require merging & splitting every single scan line during the process, but wasn't sure if there was something special about this scenario leading the docs to recommend sbs.

2) Do you have any sense for whether it's safe to use MVC codec levels above 4.1 on typical devices these days? 3D blu ray discs are always encoded at 4.1; I assume this is some baseline support offered by BD players. But I'm not playing back on a BD player. I assume this would be chipset dependent, but there's basically no information easily available about this setting and device support that I can find, unlike for AVC. Just wondering if you had any ad-hoc experience with higher codec level different settings.

Thanks again!

Last edited by jamt; 31st October 2018 at 15:16.
jamt is offline   Reply With Quote