View Single Post
Old 19th May 2021, 06:05   #14  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Is anyone using Theora for anything in the last decade? It is basically a patched version of VP3, a late 90's codec that never got a high quality encoder. H.263 probably gives better results and is patent free.
the darkest dungeon. not that old but not a new game too.
looking at the quality of that video i wouldn't been shocked if h263 obliterates it.

Quote:
Any game with GPU requirements can know exactly what hardware decoders are available on those GPUs.
even if known it's you kinda need software for fallback so you can just stick with it. user don't take system requirement serious there was more than 1 user complaining that a game like stardew valley doesn't work on the intel IGPU because it needs DX11.
what about cross platform with software you are fine on anything with hardware decoding you are doomed to write code for every OS and for GPU manufactory too because linux isn't windows with a simple DXVA2 or D3D11 API.

Quote:
H.264 is a built-in Windows feature since Windows 7+. You are right that the "N" versions don't have it, but I've not heard of anyone using one of those in the wild for >10 years. Although when I was at Microsoft back then, we did get a hilarious user bug report of "I can't play WMV files on Windows N." Not being able to play media files out of the box is literally the only feature of "N."
AFAIK the law is still in effect no media support on schweiz version of windows so just for them you have to do it differently if you go software it's easier to port too.
and isn't the distribution license still something that needs paying if windows can decode it or not. BTW. the software decoder of windows 10 for HEVC was pretty good it stomped everything on release date. and know it's not shipped with it anymore. so at one point you could ship a game that uses media foundation or DS to play the video (some games did that and software like lavfilter have to block them to make them still work...) but you would be totally screwed now where you have to buy the decoder first.

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that's improving. I've seen some games use Bink in the last five years, but don't recall one more recently.
not sure if it was bink but persona 4 was released on PC last year and the videos looked worse than bink not sure what that was but
it's not as easy to access videos directly these days so i can't even test this.

Quote:
What's the issue there? It seems to be just a very high level of media playback. Is it the potential complexity of containers? That's irrelevant to a game that's playing its own media files which wouldn't use those very rare features.
it can only do VP8 in software.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote