View Single Post
Old 26th November 2022, 13:45   #19746  |  Link
Ryushin

Update - Thank you

Thank Atak for the update and the new features. I appreciate it.

If you have time would be nice to have SMDegrain replace MDegrain. The results are just staggering and I resisted doing it for so long because I thought MDegrain did such a good job it could not really improve that much with SMDegrain. SMDegrain's output is so much improved it's staggering. It's like the difference MDegrain made over HQDN3D and that I would never go back to HQDN3D after seeing the results for MDegrain. Now SMDegrain has made MDegrain obsolete.

Now I'm at the point where the output is so clean with SMDegrain I think something must be wrong as the file sizes are so much smaller and I must have lost detail. Every detailed comparison I've made shows that I was wrong and the output from SMDegrain has not only removed the grain, but since the grain is removed, details actually stand out and everything appears crisper. I've actually started re-encoding older films and watching them again such as The Terminator, The Edge, etc. just because the difference in detail is so dramatic it is like experiencing the film all over again and it is a joy to watch.

SMDegrain also does not produce the detail blur I saw with MDegrain3 in a characters face when they turned their head.

The only tweak I have started doing is blksize=8 when dealing with video that has a lot of dark scenes in it.

Please replace MDegrain with the following SMDegrain strength settings:
Light: SMDegrain(video,tr=2,thSAD=200,thSADC=100,contrasharp=true,prefilter=0,refinemotion=true)
Medium: SMDegrain(video,tr=4,thSAD=400,thSADC=200,contrasharp=true,prefilter=1,refinemotion=true)
Strong: SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true)

Thanks again Atak for everything.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote