View Single Post
Old 6th May 2011, 09:42   #1  |  Link
GG-Xtreme

H.264 MKV Seek Issues (Again)

I posted a thread here a while ago about an issue I was having: H.264 MKV's I encoded using MeGUI and DirectShowSource would not seek properly on my Galaxy S Android phone, causing it to freeze or crash while seeking past a certain point (usually between halfway and 2/3rds of the way through the video). If allowed to play normally from the beginning, the videos play all the way through.

The issue was resolved by using FFVideoSource, although no one could explain why this change fixed anything. Now, after using MeGUI for a while with success, it seems the ffms2 has been updated or something--now videos I encode using FFVideoSource refuse to seek at ALL on my phone. Once again, allowed to play through from the beginning, they play fine, but any seeking causes the video frame to freeze while audio plays in the background, and the phone will be unresponsive until the video is stopped.

The videos are encoded using the x264 scratchpad profile tuned for better quality and animation, at 23.976fps and 800x450 resolution. The original MKV's used to make the source are 720p MKV's, and they play and seek just fine on my phone (although the point of reencoding them is to hardsub them so I don't have to deal with my phone's poor SSA subtitle support).

Would anyone have an idea as to what part of the the process is going wrong or part of the H264 stream is tripping up the phone's hardware decoding? (Software playback of all videos seeks fine, but that's an annoying workaround; all videos seek and play fine on my laptop with both software and hardware decoding) Perhaps someone would know if any recent changes in ffms2 could have caused this.

I'll install an old build of MeGUI in the meantime to encode videos, but I would really like to get to the bottom of this.
GG-Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote