View Single Post
Old 1st September 2014, 09:35   #89  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I think tsMuxeR does the job well. Usually, subtitle stream #0 uses the 3D-plane #0, subtitlle #1 use plane #1, and so on. That seems coherent. However, in some BDs, there are several MPLS that references exactly the same M2TS file(s), with the MVC stream (therefore it's a 3D MPLS), and with the same audio and subtitle streams, but without the 3D-planes information, or with a different 3D-plane information. For example, for a movie with 3 subtitle stream, the first MPLS could assign 3D-planes 0, 1 and 2, the second 1, 2 and nothing for the third subtitle stream, and the third MPLS could have all 3D-planes set to "zerro" (sic).

Also, I still don't know what means that "zerro" 3D-plane. It doesn't seem to be 3D-plane #0, and currently BD3D2MK3D treats it as undefined. But since there are also subtitle streams without any indication for the 3D-plane, there must be a difference. I suppose that when tsMuxeR shows nothing, that means that the info is missing from the MPLS, and when it shows "zerro", that means that it has found the info. The question is, why is it decoding that info to "zerro"?

When there are several MPLS referencing the same 3D content, BD3D2MK3D displays by default only one MPLS. (You can force it to display all 3D MPLS with the "Show all 3D playlists" button in tab 1.) And it tries to show the MPLS with the "best" 3D-planes description: the first one with all subtitles with a 3D-plane. (The "zerro" info being assimilated to "missing".)

Note also that on some 3DBDs, there are also subtitle streams in the M2TS file of the dependent view (MVC). They are often exact copies of the streams present in the AVC, and I wonder what is the benefit to include the same streams twice. Note that eac3to does not show that "secondary" subtitle streams, but it fails when trying to demux the main streams, because that additional streams have the same ID than the corresponding streams in the AVC. Therefore, it mixes two streams together, and issues a lot of error messages about overlapping timecodes. The resulting demuxed streams are unusable. (tsMuxeR 3D doesn't have that problem.)

Sometimes, like in Avatar, there is only one additional stream in the MVC, and it is a full-size image (without transparency) with a text telling something like "Put your 3D-glasses now" during the whole duration of the movie. I don't understand why they need that subtitle in the main movie. IMO, that message should be displayed only before the movie begins. Anyway, that subtitle has no 3D-plane information, and I guess it's normal, since it is totally opaque.

I have seen also sometimes movies with only 1 subtitle stream, but there are 2 non-empty 3D-planes in the MVC. The first one (#0) has a fixed depth, and 3D-plane #1 has valid depth values. The subtitle stream is correctly associated with 3D-plane #1. I wonder why the authoring program has created that useless 3D-plane #0, but anyway, the info of tsMuxeR is correct.

So, in short, I think we can trust tsMuxeR, but I would like to understand why it displays "zerro" sometimes, and I'm not totally sure that the logic used by BD3D2MK3D to determine the "best" MPLS to show in the case of several identical playlists is correct, although, as far as I know, it is always coherent.