View Single Post
Old 28th June 2020, 03:38   #9  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Use an external image host instead of the forum. With the forum, you have to wait for moderation.

------

If you keep getting a black screen no matter what, it's likely OBS is missing a configuration.

Start the game and alt+tab to get to your Desktop. The game needs to run to set up the recording process.
Or do it window mode.
As long as it's running, so OBS can see the .exe.

Start at the bottom of the program:
"SCENE", add a scene and name it anything, like SSE.
Don't remove this scene, as everything in the SOURCE box next to it will also be removed.

Now, add the source in the SOURCE box next to SCENE, and choose "Game Capture". Name it after the game, it won't do it automatically.
Then choose "Capture specific window" and pick the game .exe that's open.

This is where you can set Transparency (alpha channel).

That will ensure it's capturing the game and not the whole desktop.

------

Don't worry about the info I put up about bit depth. I tried to capture in 10-bit for extra efficiency when I edit something.
But, games run at 8bit, so 10bit is useless.
16bit can be used in Avisynth for the processing I want to do, and it's more efficient that way.

I digress.

-----

RGBA also useless info, it should be linked to the setting to allow Transparency. I imagine the devs set it up that way (it'd be smart).

I digress.

-----

maybe I should update OBS
Yes, update everything! OBS, K-Lite Codec Pack, etc.
Always update before asking. Only time to stick with older versions of anything is if there's serious limitations (like dropped support for Windows XP,etc), or serious bugs in updated verison that you've experienced.

-----

huhn has a good point about the performance impact your PC will suffer using HEVC instead of x264.
Since it's Skyrim, and you're playing with someone else, you're probably using more mods than just the co-op mod.
Any visual mods (4K textures, lighting, shadows, etc) will create an impact on overall performance. Combine that with recording, especially over 1080p resolution, you're going to get more impact.
Stick with lossless x264, etc.

-----

I only worry about colorspaces because I want to make a lot of wallpapers, so I want fidelity on the source.
After I'm done all the editing I want to do, I'll convert everything down to YUV 4:2:0, anyway. No point keeping full RGB to archive.

Since you're doing this for clips, and probably sharing online, it's probably better you record in YUV 4:2:0.
Use regular UtVideo Codec in I420.
-----

The custom FFMPEG for x264/rgb is already included in OBS.

Settings ->
Output ->
Video Encoder -> "libx264rgb (libx264)"

Video Encoder Settings (if any) -> (in the empty box, type in the following)
qp=0

You'll get x264 recording in lossless.

------

I didn't upload a recorded sample because the file was over 2GB.
For reference, the 1080p / 8-bit / RGB / MagicYUV (M8RG) running for 12 seconds is 2.2GB.
The screens I posted earlier were the results of my very short captures.

I did encodes in RGB/444/420.
They all look the same, really. YV12 was the smallest filesize.

Trimming the RGB clip to just 2 seconds gives me a filesize of 394MB.

2 seconds / 1080p / MagicYUV (modes: rgb/yuv444/yuv420)
Uploaded samples to MEGA:
RGB = 394 MB
444 = 334 MB
420 = 169 MB

------

For awhile, I've been using NVidia's capture service, since I upgraded to a GTX 1060 3GB.
Before with the GT 1030, these features weren't available (GTX only).

They capture in lossy 4:2:0, but use SD color primaries/transfers/matrix.
Quote:
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System M
Matrix coefficients : BT.601
Regardless of the screen size you record.

So I've just recently switched to OBS because they added MagicYUV (very) recently.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)

Last edited by Sparktank; 28th June 2020 at 03:48.
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote