View Single Post
Old 30th April 2020, 05:53   #10  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorRain View Post
I'd like to re-raise the problem -- array idea seems to be incompatible with previous versions.
Good question, sorry, I have read it but could not deal with it because this topic needed a whole attention which I did not have.

I was looking for a way to keep existing 'type' and '+' format, but I could not find a convenient and compatible way to do that.

At the moment "a" type in function signatures are for ".+" and requires [] syntax on the script side. Nor can it specifiy that you want a float-only array for example. On the bright side, new-style dedicated array parameters can appear anywhere in the list and can have names, can follow each other even with specifying zero elements in them.

Another big difference that new-style script arrays can be of multiple levels, not only an 1-D array, like they are treated in parameter list (btw - you are dealing with dual AVS-VS interfaces, does VapourSynth allows multilevel array as function parameters?). They can be of 0 or 1 elements and they still preserve their type as array.
There are more differences: unlike old arrays they are deep-copied and deep-deleted on deallocation (except on C interface which is treated specially)

I think I have to look at that in internal "Invoke_" as well. In "Invoke_" the array-typed arguments are totally 'flattened' back before calling function-match checking (thus their arrayness is removed). This is a reason why array arguments cannot follow each other as an unnamed parameters. The array parameters (if they are of mixed type or zero sized) cannot be separated again any more.
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote