View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:56   #5  |  Link
mjb

People are unloading VCRs every day on eBay, Craigslist, and at charity shops/thrift stores (don't go to such an unsanitary store during the pandemic though). You can always find one within your budget. The lower your budget, the longer you might have to wait to find what you want, and you might have to jump on it. Don't be afraid to make an offer that's less than the advertised price. Worst that can happen is they'll say no.

S-VHS decks cost a little more, but they are also more likely to be in good shape, I think. They came out when DVDs and Tivos were becoming very popular. Nevertheless, when buying online, I'd want to buy from a reputable dealer or someone who has tested the unit and accepts returns. You don't want to get stuck with something that needs repair.

My understanding is the JVC HR-S7600EK is the lowest end of the UK models that have the built-in TBC you want, and a quick look at eBay shows none, but there's a 7700 (the four digits after the S are all you need to worry about) for £300 and another for £375. But click on the Sold filter and you'll see that the 7700, 8600, 9500 were bought/auctioned recently all for well under £200 ... so if I were you I'd point this out to the current sellers and ask if they'll take 200 ... if not, just wait and something will turn up. You'll have plenty left over for a decent capture card.
mjb is offline   Reply With Quote