View Single Post
Old 28th August 2017, 02:22   #335  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
so this BD is not a real source?
yes chroma doesn't matter much for this image but that doesn't change what it is doing to the chroma channel.

obviously that there is something terrible wrong with DXVA chroma scaling.

and it is nonesense to think it is blurrier than bilinear? it clearly is in this case...
The image is grayscale only (at least to the eye), but actually even between bicubic and bilinear chroma scaling there is a huge difference in sharpness.
So what does it prove? Only that a soft chroma scaler softens the image here. There is already lots of aliasing in the source, and of course a soft scaler has a strong influence on that.

If there was a real problem with chroma blur & DXVA scaling, my cartoon example would look like blurry garbage. But actually, both chroma and luma are way sharper than with bilinear (it's 640x368 -> 2532x1440).

I have the suspicion that DXVA2 scaling uses different sharpness levels for different source resolutions. I tried a 720p non-cartoon sample a few days back and here DXVA2 scaling behaved mostly like madVR's softcubic60.
This is not bad quality, it may be just not to your likings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
and about banding DXVA is still using low bitdeep and is adding banding you can check this with the BW.avi. where this will be notable is a different story but still it is still terrible at it.
I don't see it:
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote