View Single Post
Old 17th May 2011, 04:06   #18  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

I wouldn't have thought CCCP is really a codec pack as such, despite it's name. It's really just MPC-HC, ffdshow and Haali media splitter, pre-configured according to the CCCP "standard".

I used CCCP for years.... many different versions... without any stability issues. The only problem I ever had was with the audio sync with some of those MP4s we're not allowed to discuss here, but remuxing them would fix it. If CCCP does have any problems (such as an audio sync issue) running the installer again and allowing it to disable any other splitters/codecs etc it doesn't like, should fix it.

VLC works for me (I don't use subtitles a lot) but it won't use system codecs despite having a setting to tell it to do so (or I've never been able to get it to work) and it doesn't "feel" as good as MPC-HC.

These days I simply use MPC-HC on it's own for playback. Like VLC it has internal filters to play all the common file formats so there's no real need to install ffdshow or the haali splitter etc and you can bypass any CCCP stability issues that way.. I still install the other programs, but I use them for encoding. Rather than install the CCCP I install MPC-HC, ffdshow, haaali splitter and VobSub individually. As it comes "out of the box" MPC-HC will play pretty much all the usual formats without the need for anything else, so for most people installing MPC-HC on it's own for playback will probably be all they'll ever need (once again I don't use subtitles a lot but MPC-HC seems to render all the subtitles I've used on it's own without any problem).
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote