View Single Post
Old 13th February 2021, 15:10   #10  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBoyShredderson View Post
Given that my idea wont work too well in practice, what x265 crf results in an average of 6-7mbits roughly speaking? Obviousl it would vary by content, and also preset i think. Ball park estimate though, across all kinds of content?

Or, whatever crf+preset is most similar to x264 high profile crf 18 veryslow in terms of quality.
You have all the tools you need, why dont you just try it out? You havnt even said what you are going to encode... VHS? DVDs? Blurays? Home videos? Its much easier just to do some tests to see what works for you, we dont know your quality preferences, we dont know your limit when it comes to encoding time vs compression etc etc.

Eitherway... If we assume that you are going to re-encode 1080p SDR blurays, then some ballpark answer would be that preset slow, crf 18-19, no-sao would be rather close to crf 18 veryslow @ maybe a 25% size reduction and would be in the 5-7Mbps range.

And yes, the behavior in x265 is that the slower the preset, the higher the bitrate @ the same crf level. As CRF can only be used as a constant quality metrical @ the same settings, you should always do your tests when trying to find out settings and quality with 2pass (if you are going to compare different encoders and or settings), when you find the settings and bitrate you are happy with tune in an crf value that ends up in the same bitrate level as your 2pass tests.

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 13th February 2021 at 16:03.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote