View Single Post
Old 10th August 2019, 15:04   #15  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Right, 16bit stacked or interleaved output MSB and LSB stacked or interleaved one with the other, so it would screw up the calculation made by the script as the resolution would be wrong. As to HDRTools by JPSDR, I can tell you that it works absolutely fine on Windows XP, however it might require a lot of RAM for UHD sources and BT2020 to be processed with 16bit precision and that's an issue for 32bit systems 'cause it would have to be split using MPPipeline in order to avoid to hit the maximum memory available per single process. Anyway, as to HDR, that's not an easy task, as you are no longer dealing with resolutions and color matrices, but with color curves. Hence, there isn't a perfect mathematical formula to go from a curve to another and the way you would be bringing something to something else would be according to what looks best for you and once you have done it, there's no way to go back. What I mean by this is that you should think about PQ, HLG and BT709 linear as curves and in order to go from a curve to another you need a function that takes some values in input and outputs some other values... however, from our Calculus class we know that functions can be 1 to 1 or onto and if they are both 1 to 1 and onto then they are bijective. Viewing this in a linear algebra setting means that the matrix of linear transformation associated with our function is an isomorphism which basically means that we can go back and forth between the input and the output losslessly 'cause we can invert them, but when you are dealing with PQ, HLG and BT709 linear, there's no way to have an isomorphism and to go back to where you started losslessly.
I've been talking about this more in depth in my "FranceBB LUT Collection" as I thought that it was an interesting topic for linear algebra lovers and because companies were selling matrices of linear transformation for 200 bucks each while I really wanted to make mine open source and offer them for free.

Anyway, back to our original topic, I think that using HDRTools to deal with UHD would require a not so hard modification to the code as you can see the command for the conversion between BT2020 SDR and BT709 SDR in the very first page of Jean Philippe's topic. As to HDR, I would be very reluctant about including it 'cause:

- There's no way to know whether an HDR source is HDR except for the metadata that you would have to check from the indexer if the indexer does pass them, as Avisynth doesn't know anything about color curves.

- even if you manage to get the information from the indexer 'cause it passes it, there's no way to be 100% sure that whoever encoded the file actually included the right metadata. I've seen far too many files wrongly flagged by either Studios or NLE, or cameras.

- it's not just PQ and HLG, there are many other color curves like C-log, log-C, Slog1, Slog2, Slog3, F-log, D-log...

- There isn't a clear mathematical connection between curves and the function that it's used to go from one to another and you will always have to make sure that the conversion is both mathematically correct and it looks good according to your taste which the user might not like (linear transformation, tonemapping algorithms like Hable, Möbius and Reinhard etc).

For all these reasons, I would not include HDR conversion in the script. Trust me, it's a far too big subject that still makes us (broadcast encoder) think...

Last edited by FranceBB; 10th August 2019 at 15:10.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote