View Single Post
Old 16th July 2020, 07:24   #12  |  Link
egr

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the very short file i posted works in mpc-hc too and it done directly with OBS recording options no plugin nothing was used.
Yes but it wasn't recorded with the Ut Video Codec...yours was done in x264 8-bit RGB lossless mode.

Quote:
money bring something new to the market, 10 bit in h264 has no hardware decoder. HEVC is just very slow in comparison it should do a better job in term of file sizes but encoding times are massively higher that's why x264 is the codec for livestreaming for now it's not the better codec but computer can do it in real time and the quality in realtime is "better" with h264 then with HEVC.
File size mainly relate to the bitrate of the video codec or at least as far as I'm aware of anyways. With x264, I know around (or so I've been told) 14Mb/s for 2560x1440p30, 9Mb/s for 1920x1080p30, 6Mb/s for 1280x720p30, 3Mb/s for 853x480p30, 1.5Mb/s for 640x360p30, and 750Kb/s for 427x240p30 (keeping 16:9 aspect ratio and in variable bitrate) is good enough playback without visually seeing any compression artifacting although I guess that can be subjective, but what are the equivalents of these bitrates for x265? How efficient is it? Of course you'll probably need to double the bitrate if you intend to show at 60fps or alter the bitrate some more for different frame rates as you can't have a video running 120fps look just as good as the one running at 30fps on the same bitrate and codec without losing quality which I've found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
If you keep getting a black screen no matter what, it's likely OBS is missing a configuration.

Start the game and alt+tab to get to your Desktop. The game needs to run to set up the recording process.
Or do it window mode.
As long as it's running, so OBS can see the .exe.

Start at the bottom of the program:
"SCENE", add a scene and name it anything, like SSE.
Don't remove this scene, as everything in the SOURCE box next to it will also be removed.

Now, add the source in the SOURCE box next to SCENE, and choose "Game Capture". Name it after the game, it won't do it automatically.
Then choose "Capture specific window" and pick the game .exe that's open.

This is where you can set Transparency (alpha channel).

That will ensure it's capturing the game and not the whole desktop.
Quote:
your file works fine in mpc-hc it's just blank.
You're both right! The video was blank...it works now after configuring which screen or window to capture, I just got it to capture any fullscreen application.... I'm sorry I doubted both of you.... I guess the issue was just me not knowing there were extra conditions - thought it was just as simple as load up OBS and click or hotkey the start and stop record buttons and that's it. Although I did muck around trying to record in lossless UT Video Codec which was their default lossless codec:

when I picked "Lossless Quality, Tremendously Large File Size" option in the dropdown menu for Recording Quality in the Simple Output Mode. Got a few questions to ask yo:

What does SLI/CrossFire Capture Mode (Slow) do?
What does Force Scaling do?
So I'm suppose to check the box for "Allow Transparency" so I'm capturing game fullscreen and not whole desktop full screen as well?
I'm guessing "Limit capture framerate" sets a predefined fps setting which I don't see there where I could set the fps unless this is for something else?
And what's hook rate?

Quote:
Don't worry about the info I put up about bit depth. I tried to capture in 10-bit for extra efficiency when I edit something.
But, games run at 8bit, so 10bit is useless.
16bit can be used in Avisynth for the processing I want to do, and it's more efficient that way.

I digress.
There are a few games that run with 10 bit colour depth, I think Aliens Vs Predator was one of them or was it Aliens Colonels? One of the aliens or predator games from the top of my head. There are some others but I don't remember their names.... There was a wikipedia article or some other article I read that listed those games but I can't find it anymore that I got this info from that I remember reading off....

Quote:
After I'm done all the editing I want to do, I'll convert everything down to YUV 4:2:0, anyway. No point keeping full RGB to archive.
Quote:
even through nothing was really moving the file need more then 20 mb sec with just 1080p60. so i will warn you yet again file sizes are going to be insane the codec will not make a major day night difference.
It will if you're gonna keep it as a reference master source for any other future projects(and not use a lossy transcoded piece as reference unless you don't care for quality or as a concept/draft) that uses the clip and want to preserve absolute quality.

Quote:
The custom FFMPEG for x264/rgb is already included in OBS.

Settings ->
Output ->
Video Encoder -> "libx264rgb (libx264)"

Video Encoder Settings (if any) -> (in the empty box, type in the following)
qp=0

You'll get x264 recording in lossless.
Ah I see it, you need to go into advance mode and not simple mode to see the options. Hmmm, I don't see that option on my screen, it's greyed out for me:

Hm, I'm guessing once you pick your lossless codecs(it looks like audio codec is also greyed out), the audio and video bitrate values would be ignored? And what's keyframe intervals? Should I change this or nah?

Quote:
I didn't upload a recorded sample because the file was over 2GB.
For reference, the 1080p / 8-bit / RGB / MagicYUV (M8RG) running for 12 seconds is 2.2GB.
The screens I posted earlier were the results of my very short captures.

I did encodes in RGB/444/420.
They all look the same, really. YV12 was the smallest filesize.

Trimming the RGB clip to just 2 seconds gives me a filesize of 394MB.

2 seconds / 1080p / MagicYUV (modes: rgb/yuv444/yuv420)
Uploaded samples to MEGA:
RGB = 394 MB
444 = 334 MB
420 = 169 MB
Thanks, but I meant samples recorded using UT Video Codec to test with as you know they were working, and at the time, wasn't for me, so I needed a working source to eliminate the codec playback error.

Quote:
it a computer we rare using here make sure you flag it properly as bt709 even with SDR it's supposed to be sRGB which is pretty much bt 709 with a different "gamma" i didn't see once in my live.
What about bt 601 or bt 2020? Yeah, I read that sRGB is what everything on the computer is meant to be display as, which means you should suppose to have your monitor or TV screen set to sRGB mode for what the author intended it to look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The sample file plays blank with FFplay as well. So either something is wrong with the recording, or FFmpeg is not decoding it properly.

If you disable utvideo in the format settings of LAV Video decoder, then the utvideo VFW codec will be used instead if you have that installed.
Yeah, found out it wasn't configured to capture the game screen, which I had assume it would automatically do so as in the case with using FRAPS.

Last edited by egr; 16th July 2020 at 08:11. Reason: more questions
egr is offline   Reply With Quote