View Single Post
Old 30th May 2016, 10:10   #1000  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxc View Post
Also, I have been replacing the x265_x64 executable with one that has 10 bit support, which gives a better output (reducing banding significantly), maybe you could either bundle a exe with 8/10/12 bit support and make it selectable in h265 options?
I will consider that suggestion. But take in mind that the 10 or 12 color bit modes are not compatible with many hardware players and/or graphic cards. But I agree that reducing the banding artefacts is a good thing if it works for you. Banding remains certainly the most noticeable problem of the videos encoded in h264 or h265.
Well, I've read some doc on 10bit color depth support and the BD standard and compatibility with avisynth (including this doc), and I'm not sure it is a good idea to implement it. AFAIK, currently, avisynth is still limited to 8-bit (although some filters may use more bits internally), and I wonder if encoding in 10-bit is really interesting if avisynth returns a 8-bit video anyway.

Perhaps it is possible to use various alternative filters within avisynth to output 10 or 12-bit, but honestly, I don't know how, I'm not sure they will be compatible with the filters BD3D2MK3D requires, and again, given the fact that the input BD is encoded in 8-bit (TV range), I don't think that the gain will be major. Note also that most monitors and TVs are 8-bit only, and therefore you can only expect a more or less well dithered 8bit color depth in final, even if the whole processing and encoding processes are made correctly in 10 or 12-bits.

So, unless somebody can explain what I'll have to do to effectively support 10 or 12-bit color depth during the whole process and can show me clearly that there is a big advantage, I will not do it. Sorry.

Anyway, if you really want to encode in 10 or 12-bit, you can replace the x264/x265 exe with the 10/12-bit version, as you know. You can even create several small cmd files to restore the 8-bit version or overwrite it with another version, and call the right batch when necessary, before launching the encoding.