Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 12th November 2013, 10:38   #268  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Looking forward to 64 bit and multithreading. A few questions:
1. Will the installer be able to extract the dll's with 7zip?
2. Will the dll package still be available?
1. 7zip can unpack the installer, yes. It's just an update of the NSIS script that classic AviSynth uses for its installer.
2. I would wager any third-party builds would still use a non-installer-based package. So, probably?

The big caveat here is that the installer is assumed to be used by those choosing to rely only on AviSynth+, such as first-time users. It installs to %ProgramFiles%\AviSynth+ and sets the plugins and plugins+ directory targets in the registry to the ones residing in the AviSynth+ directory. This means that - unless some other solutions arise to allow classic and avsplus to coexist - you should only use the installer for either classic or avsplus, but not both. Using the avsplus installer over top of the classic one will more than likely reset the plugin directory locations in the registry and that means you'd have to move/copy the plugins over to AviSynth+'s plugins directory (and if you ever uninstalled AviSynth+, you'd have to be sure to either reinstall classic or fix the registry so it points at AviSynth 2.5\plugins again).

Currently, it cannot install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so separate installers for each one would be necessary unless/until a proper solution for that is found. I saw some references on StackOverflow to getting NSIS to use one installer for both, but since I don't have access to any Win64 setups I can't really do any work on that and test it (the closest is 64-bit Wine, but that still means nothing because I can't compile AviSynth+ itself as 64-bit - unless there's some CMake trick to make a Win64 target available to a 32-bit MSVC...if cross-compiling 64-bit stuff with 32-bit MSVC is even possible, that is).

One thing that I have been thinking about in regard to licensing as SEt brought up way earlier in the thread: since several parts of the AviSynth+ source code would be brand-new, I propose that anything brand-new could be put under a more permissive but still GPL-compatible license. The ISC license and Expat license are both popular and GPL-compatible, for instance. Arguably, the refactoring process on the old stuff might eventually render many of those parts completely rewritten and open to relicensing, but since IANAL I won't say anything definitive on that front.

The end result is that AviSynth+ (in binary form?) would still be distributed under the terms of the GPL (with the plugin linking exception intact), but at least on those brand new parts, it could encourage more source contribution from those that would otherwise not because of the GPL.