View Single Post
Old 13th February 2023, 22:22   #76  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Yes - most of torrent-releases of any new title and broadcast recordings have now xvid-based version of SD resolution with very low bitrate. It is defacto hard standard of media files today.
Yeah...

Quote:
Most of real people are simple and like to have plug-and-play media workflow with once for decades purchased simple stable video playback hardware.
That is true. Not so long ago (I think it was 2018), the wife of a colleague of mine showed me the playback support of the devices they use to playback stuff for their children in the car while they drive to keep them quiet (when for instance they go to the summer house with their car) and it still showed MPEG-2 and Xvid/DivX support only, so... yeah, there's that.
Of course their car isn't new (and wasn't "new" in 2018 either), but when someone buys a car he expects it to last for several years along with the players inside, so it makes sense.

Quote:
The era of computer geeks @home is gone in the past. Very fast
That is sadly depressing...

Quote:
The colour analog SDTV work for about half of a century and most users where happy.
Yeah... We might be happy to see lots of stops/nits being recorded in modern cameras without clipped out skies and no banding with 10bit and 12bit etc, but realistically, most consumers don't really care and would have easily been happy to keep watching SD BT601 8bit 100 nits stuff on their TV 'cause "it just works"...

Quote:
The quality of video codecs reach its 'saturation for general public' at about transition from MPEG-4 ASP to AVC. The MPEG2 was yet about too simple and blocky.
Honestly, though, we're here discussing about Xvid still being around, but can you imagine how long H.264 will stick around? I mean, it was such a good codec in terms of patents and x264 was such a good encoder that it will probably stick around for years to come and the fact that broadcast companies adopted XAVC Intra Class 300 and 480 for UHD workflows will make it stick around even longer ehehehe.
But even in the consumer world, most of the stuff we see in VOD is still either in H.264 OR has an H.264 fallback stream for compatibility purposes.
I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, on the contrary, but I'm just noticing how long x264 will stick around for years to come. :P

Quote:
Only moneymakers tried to take more money from general more and more poor public forcing it to move to 265 with 10bit and HD/UHD/HDR/WCG.
Well... I mean... it's not just money makers, though, isn't it?
I mean, even I don't care much about UHD per se, but there's one thing I'm particularly happy about: more stops in cameras and more nits in contents.
I mean, imagine recording someone with a direct light source and not having to worry about having the sky completely white and clipped out at 100 nits. Nowadays with Sony cameras you can easily record in HLG BT2020 and get your memories in stunning quality and then you can just play back the very same file on your TV etc showing the same amount of nits as the stops recorded by the camera.
Before this was a thing, you had to record in Slog3 and then apply a LUT to go to BT709 SDR 100 nits in the least painful way possible by preserving as much as you could, while if you shot directly in BT709 it would have almost definitely been clipped out.

In a nutshell: I don't think the biggest innovation of 2013 was UHD but rather HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
I can't understand what the hell DTL is saying.
Men and women are often incompatible xD
Just joking, Katie, he might go down a bit of a rabbit hole sometimes with lengthy posts, but so are mine, so we kinda understand each other.
Once you dive into his flow of thoughts, you'll see that he often has some valid points.
Like the recent x264 ASM discussion we had, he made some really valid points.

p.s I'll tell you a secret, he also works with signals through SDI cables, so I like to think that we're SDI buddies XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
Looke like DTL just core dumped, don't try to make sense of it.
Poor DTL hahahahahahahahaha

Last edited by FranceBB; 13th February 2023 at 22:26.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote