View Single Post
Old 9th November 2022, 12:57   #63  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
And its 57 frames and not seconds.
The 57-second thing was a typo (sorry, originally meant to express it in seconds). Fixed now.

Quote:
But no one is talking about DVD but you? This is like saying the default -keyint of 250 of x264 is not BD compliant? Keep it mind that the intent was a comparison between a a good Mpeg-2 and a good Mpeg-4 encoder and not between distribution standards.

And there you are talking about DVD again. No one talked about DVD compliance, we talked about video compression standards and their implementation.
For consumer electronics backwards compatibility (which is the only reason you should use anything older than H.264), MPEG2 is DVD or SVCD, and both restrict max distance between I-frames:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en...t-vcd-dvd.html

So, for pre-H264 hardware, realisticaly it's either DVD, SVCD, or Divx Home Theater profile, and I answered why Divx Home Theater holds a space-efficiency advantage over DVD. SVCD doesn't do widescreen so I didn't even consider it, but points #2 and #3 in my previous post still apply. And point #2 applies to MPEG2 vs MPEG4 ASP in general.

I know the thread veered off a bit, that's why I realigned it with the original question ("Is XVID still used?") in my previous post. The answer is: XVID is still used to encode Divx Home Theater-compliant files. And Divx Home Theater is still used where small sizes are needed and compatibility with pre-H264 hardware is also needed, due to its space-efficiency advantage over DVD.

Quote:
This is it then. People here make less sense every day. I am taking a time out from Doom9.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 9th November 2022 at 13:28.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote