View Single Post
Old 9th November 2022, 04:54   #62  |  Link
rwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
I was surprised by how good your MPEG-2 video looks for the bitrate, so I decided to analyse it, and I noticed that you used a 57-second GOP on average. You can't do this on DVD-Video, DVD-Video uses a max GOP length of 18 for NTSC and 15 for PAL. This gave your encode a major efficiency boost that you won't get when encoding DVD-Video compliant MPEG-2.
But no one is talking about DVD but you? This is like saying the default -keyint of 250 of x264 is not BD compliant? Keep it mind that the intent was a comparison between a a good Mpeg-2 and a good Mpeg-4 encoder and not between distribution standards.

And its 57 frames and not seconds. You might have also noticed while analyzing the stream that y262 is laking a scenecut detection and as such does not place keyframes on shot changes - giving XVID an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
So, to recap, the space-efficiency advantages of using Divx avi over DVD-Video are:
And there you are talking about DVD again. No one talked about DVD compliance, we talked about video compression standards and their implementation.

This is it then. People here make less sense every day. I am taking a time out from Doom9.
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote