View Single Post
Old 8th June 2014, 22:39   #61  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I always do the RGB->YCbCr->RGB conversion because you usually want to use more neurons for luma than for chroma, even if you enable both luma+chroma doubling.
Wow, I had badly misread your explanation.

Of course separate luma and chroma doubling (only doubling luma) has always been better in my tests but if it is low effort maybe a special case for the future when we can all run NNEDI3 256 Luma + Chroma doubling? Or does the math workout the same either way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
On what channel does MadVR perform nnedi3 resizing in YCbCr mode? Because if I use the chromaNEDI shaders and add a pre-resize shader that converts to RGB the resulting image is quite noticeably better: resized from YCbCr / resized from RGB.
From my limited understanding there would be a difference between NNEDI3 or NEDI on R, G, and B vs NNEDI3 or NEDI on Y, U, V converted to RGB. The HVS important luma information is more connected to R, G, and B than it is to U or V and both NNEDI3 and NEDI might be sort of human like as far as edge recognition goes? Also the source usually starts with half resolution U and V. Combining the chroma with the higher resolution luma information (via YUV -> RGB) might result in sharper easier to recognize edges for NNEDI3 or NEDI? Of course there is no longer a luma channel so all channels would have low resolution chroma mixed into them but your example seems to say RGB is better.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote