View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2020, 17:00   #3  |  Link
Treaties Of Warp

I might be misusing the term "soft telecine". There are definitely a mix of progressive + interlaced frames in the source, as I described. (Checked with DGIndex.)

If I use Hybrid to load the MKV, use FFmpegSource2 on it (which it does by default), use the AviSynth previewer, and advance frame by frame, it looks correct and I see no interlaced (combed) frames at all. It seems like it correctly got rid of the interlaced frames. (Loading the .mpg and using the previewer to advance frame by frame shows combed interlaced frames.) I'm not understanding how MKVToolNix/MakeMKV created a file that works this way with FFmpeg. I do want to get rid of the interlaced frames and go to 23.976 on this, but I'm not sure if I should trust the results from going from source to mkv then to mp4 using FFmpeg without fully understanding what the heck is happening in terms of getting rid of the interlaced frames. In other words, I don't know how accurate this is, given that it might even be some kind of bug or something.

MediaInfo on the VOB's muxed to mpg show a frame count of 160174 (29.97 fps) - 01:29:04.48

MediaInfo on the VOB's muxed to mkv (latest MKVToolNix version) shows 128107 frames... I manually specified 23.976 fps - 01:29:03.13

If I decimate the mpg using TIVTC to 23.976 via AviSynth (using Hybrid), I get 128139 frames - 01:29:04.47

So it seems whatever MKVToolNix is doing is not completely accurate, since it loses 1.35 seconds. Not sure if it's at the beginning, end, or if it's dropping frames that might cause a timing issue that will cause the audio to go slightly out of sync.

Last edited by Treaties Of Warp; 3rd May 2020 at 17:24.
Treaties Of Warp is offline   Reply With Quote