View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 11:41   #777  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Good thing, well, probably not. But I did some tests when I've added that option to BD3D2MK3D, and it works, and even my picky TV accepts it. The result is not too bad, although there is only 640 pixels of horizontal resolution in HSBS or 360 vertical in HT&B.

BTW, the first 3D media, long before the BD and 3DBD, were 3D interlaced DVDs (afaik always NTSC), where each view was encoded in a field. The active glasses were synchronised with the frequency of the AC power. The advantage of that system is that all DVD players and TVs were able to play the video, without even "knowing" that it was a 3D movie. The drawback is the vertical resolution: 240 pixels only! And the horizontal resolution is only 720. I've converted for the fun 3 examples of these 3D DVDs, after having composed and resized them to Half-T&B (854x240 for each view), and I've watched them with my TV. The picture is horribly pixilated, but the 3D is correct. That means that the resolution of the image (and, as a consequence, the precision of the parallax) is not really important for the 3D. Most of the job is done by the brain anyway.

Of course, the same is true for Half-SBS. The precision of the parallax is divided by 2, but the 3D is as good as with T&B or Full-SBS. So, it seems that only the precision of the picture is somewhat degraded when a 3DBD is converted to 720p. The depth effects of the 3D are not really affected.

Last edited by r0lZ; 25th January 2016 at 11:44.