View Single Post
Old 10th February 2016, 09:35   #9  |  Link
hello_hello

It's definitely not an ffdshow filter causing the problem for me. In fact I used ffdshow to work out exactly where the colorimetry changes based on resolution, by using it to decode a video while it's resize filter resized, and I made note of the width and height required for the colorimetry to change. ffdshow was only decoding and resizing, not converting to RGB.
I've tested it on 1280x544 encodes without ffdshow getting involved. If LAV converts to RGB the colours are correct. The result is the same if ffdshow is decoding though. Disable all output types except RGB and ffdshow will be making the colorimetry choice when it converts to RGB and a 1280x544 encode will display correctly.
Once again though...... I've only tested all this using XP and an Nvidia card.

As a side note.....
If I open an AVS script in MPC-HC it always displays using rec.601. If I enable ffdshow's "raw video" codec, the colorimetry is based on resolution. MPC-HC shows there's different filters involved:

Without ffdshow's raw video codec enabled:
- Video Mixing Renderer 9 (renderless)
- Color Space Converter
- AVI Decompressor (YV12)
- AVI/WAV File Source

With ffdshow's raw video codec enabled:
- Video Mixing Renderer 9 (renderless)
- ffdshow Video Decoder
- AVI/WAV File Source

From what I can work out when ffdshow isn't processing the raw video, the Colour Space Converter converts to RGB and it's oblivious to colorimetry.
I assume that's what's happening but that's XP. Other Windows versions may produce different results.

Last edited by hello_hello; 10th February 2016 at 09:45.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote