View Single Post
Old 21st March 2017, 21:02   #3061  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Smells like high frequency garbage in the LFE channel. Try the following:
  1. Enable stereo downmixing in the LAV Audio "mixing" tab. Check "Normalize matrix" to rule out clipping in the next steps.
  2. In the mixing options, set the LFE level to zero. Then check if the issue is still there.
  3. In the mixing options, set the LFE level to something high (like 1.5). Then check if the issue is still there.

If the issue disappears with the LFE level set to zero, and reappears as soon as LFE is brought back in, it means the LFE channel in the content you're playing is screwed up. This would not be the first time. One reason VLC might not have this problem is because maybe it discards LFE, or maybe it applies a low-pass filter to it (a similar suggestion was made regarding LAV Audio, but I don't think nevcairiel ever got around to implementing it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
VLC may not support lossless DTS-HD MA decoding, which would give you quite a different result.
An extra special part is that Star Wars uses 6.1 audio, not 5.1 or 7.1, that can cause weirdness in some cases.
To clarify, by "Enable stereo downmixing", you mean to set Output Speaker Configuration to Stereo, correct?

When I do that and set LFE to 0.00, the problem is fixed. When I raise the LFE slider, the problem comes back.

But somehow I doubt the film was mastered with such glaring LFE problems, would you agree? So where along the chain of audio processing is this problem occurring do you think? nevcariel mentioned the 6.1 audio in Star Wars, and I think he might be on to something (the Star Wars original trilogy are the only movies I have with DTS S24 6.1.) I just don't know enough about the lav filters or MPC-HC to know what to try next...

But if Star Wars is basically the only thing I can expect to have this problem with, that isn't so bad I suppose...
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote