View Single Post
Old 5th June 2014, 08:03   #9  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I have implemented a fair number of algorithms in Delphi/Pascal, just to try them out. The original NEDI is one of them, also the Zhao-Xin Li improvement of the original NEDI algorithm and the iNEDI algorithm. I've also tried MEDI, ICBI and several others. In some images NEDI looks great. But there are also a lot of images where it looks totally unusable, IMHO. Which is why I never even considered using it in madVR.

But maybe my NEDI implementation was buggy, I don't know. If you guys want to make sure, try all the test images from the following thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145358&page=4

I think after trying all of them you'll probably agree with me that it's not a suitable algorithm for madVR due to heavy artifacts. If you do still like it, please post all the 4x upscaled NEDI images of all those test images from the linked thread here, and maybe I'll reconsider. In any case, thanks to Shiandow for your efforts!

P.S: Here's the iNEDI paper which showcases some of the NEDI problems:

http://www.tecnick.com/pagefiles/pap...VISAPP2008.pdf

Please note that the iNEDI authors "replaced" iNEDI later with the ICBI algorithm. And ICBI is worse than Jinc AR, IMHO. Basically the NEDI algorithm and all its improvements produce directional artifacts and a "fractal like" look. On the positive side, they can be quite sharp. All the newer algorithms which are trying to reduce the NEDI artifacts, are much much slower and generally make the image look less like NEDI and get nearer to Jinc/NNEDI3. Please also note that NNEDI3 while having a similar name is a *completely* different algorithm compared to NEDI. IMHO, NNEDI3 is so much better than NEDI etc that it's not even funny. At least when comparing a lot of different images. The key reason is that NNEDI3 only has very few artifacts. NEDI is *FULL* of artifacts.

Last edited by Guest; 5th June 2014 at 11:15. Reason: make links clickable
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote