View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:32   #10  |  Link
butterw2

I'm afraid, my experience on the subject of HDR to SDR tonemapping is rather limited.
mpc-be does some tonemapping by default (using hlsl shaders I believe). If I understand you correctly, you claim that the method used by vlc and mpv gives more accurate results ?

If there was a mpv glsl .hook file, that might be a better starting point for a port than libplacebo (c file with inlined GLSL).
I've tried the provided "Convert HDR to SDR.hlsl" shader in mpc-hc. The colors seem oversaturated for my taste (while the colors are washed out without it). The processing is not that complex (~100 lines of actual code), so it should be achievable to get the shader part working if a reference glsl implementation exists.

Regarding the provided sample files:
- 20190831-160457_RTL UHD.mkv is UHD-50 hevc 10bit HDR 41Mbps
- 23_Samsung_HDR_Wonderland.mkv UHD hevc 10bit HDR 22.5Mbps
Without considering the issue of tonemapping, these files do not play smoothly on an old pc/integrated graphics + 1080p SDR screen like mine.

For testing purposes, short samples are probably fine, I would suggest downconverting the most relevant ones to 1080p, reducing the bitrate 10/20x, maybe remove the audio, provide screenshots (with frame timestamp/frame number) of what you regard as desirable (from mpv, avisynth) vs what was achieved and host this with the code on a server that will not delete your files.
butterw2 is offline   Reply With Quote