View Single Post
Old 12th May 2016, 17:32   #822  |  Link
BlackSharkfr

I did not set the maxbitrate value and it encoded fine.
As I said it was just a test.
I guess the maxrate becomes important if you want to use a much higher average rate, you have to make sure the maxrate matches the capabilities of the BluRay3D format.

I do not know what value is used by default if nothing is entered.

I could use the USB input, but I play my files through the network.
I store my video library on a Synology NAS, and I use the DLNA madia server application to share my audio and video library over my LAN which the Sony BDP-S4500 accesses over Ethernet. There is a different version of this player (BDP-S5500) which also has WiFi but it's more expensive... and I don't need Wifi since I wanted to use a wired connection from the very start.
The DLNA server app is configured to only serve the original files and never reencode.

The m2ts files appear like any other shared video : the displayed name is the "title" metadata. The actual file name mentionned only appears if the "title" metadata is missing, and the icon displays the file type (MPEG is drawn in the icon instead of MKV or MP4).
When I play the file, the BluRay player automatically activates the 3D mode. Just like with my side by side squashed mkvs (if the stereoscopic tag is properly set).

Note that I only tried to play the file in the m2ts container. I did not try to play it in an mkv container (I definitely should try that, I'm curious).
I also tried to add BluRay PGS subtitles in the m2ts : the player just refuses to load the video file.
I did not try SRT subs, I know they work fine in side by side mkvs, I'm curious to see if they work with MVC too (although the font chosen by Sony is really ugly)

One interesting thing to mention : there is a button on the remote to display technical information while playing a video (audio and video codec, number of audio channels and current audio and video bitrate).
When I play a BluRay disc : the video codec says "MVC".
But when I play the m2ts file it only reports AVC (even though it is actually playing the full MVC file in 3D).

I also noticed I cannot switch 3D off (can't play the base view in 2D only). I guess that's probably a bug on Sony's side. I should write to their tech support : they appear to care a lot for this little player : they update the firmware every tree months.

Last edited by BlackSharkfr; 12th May 2016 at 18:08.
BlackSharkfr is offline   Reply With Quote