View Single Post
Old 1st October 2018, 11:11   #1500  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

There are two things to consider: Half vs Full and SBS vs T&B.

Obviously, the Full resolution is better than Half, as there are no "lost pixels" during the encoding. But as you have noticed, the rendering may be slower, depending of your TV set. I suppose that it's because the TV needs more memory for its image buffers when handling Full-SBS/T&B. As a consequence, it cannot show the images at the same frame rate, and it cannot interpolate them. You may see a slight flickering when you watch the movie. In the other hand, the resolution is better. You have to decide what you prefer.

Theoretically, Full-SBS and Full-T&B (and Frame Sequential) are strictly identical in term of quality and resolution. The TV must split the combined image in two views anyway, and dividing the original image vertically or horizontally doesn't matter.

For Half-SBS and Half-T&B, the resolution is divided by two in one direction only, and that direction may have an effect on certain TVs. It is often recommended to use Half-SBS for active TVs and Half-T&B for passive TVs. Personally, I prefer Half-SBS for my active Samsung TV, mainly because horizontal lines with high contrast (like the horizon of a landscape under the sun or the baseline of the text of the credits) are more frequent than contrasted vertical lines, and the less good vertical resolution of Half-T&B may make that horizontal lines flicker somewhat. I have never noticed that problem with Half-SBS.

If Half-T&B is often recommended for passive TVs, I think it's because the LG TVs use all even lines with a specific polarization for one view, and all odd lines with the opposite polarisation for the other view. As a consequence, the LG TVs are forced to divide the vertical resolution by 2 anyway, and if you encode in Half-SBS, the resolution is cut by 2 during the encoding and again by 2 during the projection. With Half-T&B, the problem is less important. But I've read somewhere that LG has released expensive TVs that can display all lines in both polarization. Of course, with that TVs, no resolution is lost during the rendering, and Half-SBS and Half-T&B should be equivalent. It's probably also the case for UHD TVs, where there are two times the number of lines and columns anyway.

So, IMO, there is no absolute truth. You may prefer Half or Full and SBS or T&B depending of your equipment, the context (the ambiant light is very important to minimize the flickering effect), and your eyes. I can only recommend to do some tests with a short movie, and watch them without prejudice. It's why BD3D2MK3D has the possibility to encode in that 4 modes (plus Frame Sequential, necessary mainly for some old projectors).

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st October 2018 at 11:14.