View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:37   #241  |  Link
IceB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Rec709 is simply incorrect. The black levels you are seeing are unnaturally bright. It's supposed to be as dark as 2.4. If 2.4 is too dark you can try 2.2 or maybe 2.1 instead, but definitely don't use Rec709.

The reason you're experiencing the problem is probably because your TV doesn't have very good detail in the dark regions in the first place. I personally can see the difference between (0/0/0), (1/1/1) and (2/2/2) on my monitor.
I have resolved the problem.
The "Ambient light level" measurement was still configured on dispcalGui from my previous calibrations.
Since I have updated the software, the "Ambient light level" configuration was hidden in the new version.
I have disabled it through the advanced settings and re-calibrated the TV with XYZ LUT + Matrix with Gamma 2.4.
Using the ti3 Parser the 3dlut was created for madVR calibration settings.
I have tried several profiles with different brightness/contrast/tint settings.
The best results were received with the "Relative" gamma tone curve.
The movies are much more vivid and the colors are deeper now comparing to the Rec709 profile i used before.
Yet using the gamma curve 2.4 in madVR results a bit darker picture than I would like, but the 2.3 seems to be the sweet spot for me resulting stunning and polished rendering.
IceB is offline   Reply With Quote