View Single Post
Old 12th January 2015, 11:47   #174  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi, and welcome to the Doom9 forums.

It seems that the subtitle streams of your BD contain errors. I can't tell exactly what's wrong, because the error messages are coming from BDSup2Sub.jar, and not from BD3D2MK3D itself, but if I understand correctly, BDSup2Sub hangs because there is (at least) one subtitle that is referenced but missing in the original SUP file. I have never seen that kind of error, but I can have a look if you send me the two original SUP files. You can also contact the author of BDSup2Sub.jar if you wish. He should understand the error messages better than me. Anyway, something is wrong with your BD. Are you sure it has been correctly ripped to ISO and that it doesn't contain read-errors? (BTW, have you already converted successfully other BDs with subtitles? If you have the same problem with all BDs, that could mean that BdSup2Sub or Java are badly installed.)

I have also seen in your screenshot that you wonder what is the usage of the "Hardcode Subtitle on Video" option in the last tab. If you select a subtitle stream in that field, it will be "hardcoded on the video". That means that the subtitle stream will not be muxed with the video and audio streams, but "burnt" physically "in" the video image when the 3D-T&B video stream will be encoded by x264. That has advantages and drawbacks. The advantage is that you can be sure that the 3D subtitles will be displayed exactly where they should, at the correct position and with the correct depth relatively to the surface of the screen. Most players (especially hardware players) do not support the 3D subtitles streams at all, or they move or resize them, and the depth effect is either lost or wrong. For these players, the only way to have correct 3D subtitles is to hardcode them. The drawback of the hardcode method is that you cannot turn the subtitles on or off. They are definitively in the video stream, and cannot be modified. Therefore, I suggest to use that function for movies you want to watch anyway in their original languages with Russian 3D subtitles. For the other movies, it might also be a good idea to hardcode the forced subtitles only, so that you can watch the movie with the Russian audio and see the translation of the words spoken or written in other languages with the correct 3D effect. (You can do that, for example, with the forced subtitles of Avatar, containing the translations of the sentences spoken in the Navi language.)

I have no definitive answer for your question about the CRF value. There is no "best quality", except perhaps CRF 0, because with CRF 0, your encode will be lossless, but of course, the file size will be extremely big. CRF 15 is indeed a very low value. Some peoples encode with low values such as CRF 17, but IMO that produces still too big files. The default (CRF 23) is IMO a good compromise between quality and file size. Usually, that produces files between 3 and 10 GB, depending of the duration and complexity of the movie. I prefer to use a lower value (around 20) for movie where the quality of the image is very important, but CRF 23 is OK for most movies. I have read somewhere that the file size is multiplied by approx 2 when you lower the CRF value by 3. I have never tried to verify if it's correct, but if it's true, that means that the video stream computed at CRF 20 should be approx twice as big as the stream computed with the default value 23. It's why I think that using values under 20 is somewhat exaggerated. Similarly, using CRF values greater than 26 can degrade the video quality too much. IMO, values between 19 and 26 should be used most of the time, but of course, it's my opinion only.

Note also that you can reduce the file size without changing the CRF value if you select a slower preset. Presets veryslow and placebo are too slow for me, but I like the preset Slower. Note however that using a pseset slower than the default "medium" changes the level automatically. Since most hardware players do not support levels 5.0 or higher, you may need to force level 4.1 (or 4.2) if you use a slow preset.

You can also compress better the "classic cartoon" movies, with large areas of flat colors (not CGI animation!) if you select the Animation tune. But selecting the Film tune has the opposite effect. It makes the image sharper, but that increases the file size.

Personally, I use almost always preset slower, tune none and level 4.1. The CRF depends of the movie, but it is usually between 20 and 23.