View Single Post
Old 4th August 2022, 23:41   #9  |  Link
Rich86

I came across a bargain priced used video card (Zotac GeForce GTX760) and snagged it. It uses kepler architecture and supports NVENC. It is now installed in my Windows 10 pro tower & I am experimenting & learning to use it. So far, it seems to be working fine.
I launched bdrb & chose 25gb bd as target, nvenc as decoder & "highest quality". The bdrb program defaulted to "one pass vbr" and I left it that way. I processed a blu-ray movie title to fit onto BD25 media. It completed much faster than before I had nvenc as an option and the output looks fine to me. After doing some reading, it seems like "vbr" is the right choice for creating something intended to be burned to BD media.

Question: why doesn't the program offer a 2 pass option for nvenc encoding using vbr? Is 2 pass vbr not an option using nvenc? Maybe not necessary so not listed?

I also processed a blu-ray movie converting to dvd using the same settings. BDRB made 2 passes during the conversion and I don't think it went much faster than before I had nvenc.

Question: is bdrb actually using nvenc VBR when converting a blu-ray to dvd? if yes - why does it make 2 passes for the dvd?
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote