View Single Post
Old 5th March 2014, 00:26   #24259  |  Link
XMonarchY

I subbmited OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop bug to the 3 possible places I could. I think everyone here should do the same! If at least 10-15 people do the same - I bet we'll get a fix in the next driver release.

I think we should have a generic letter, something like:
"Dear nVidia,
It has come to my attention that almost all drivers in the past 6 months had non-functional OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop. They all had a bug that affected and still affects one of the best, if not the best, video renderer in existence - madVR. The only driver sets that have a properly working OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop are 326.80 beta and 327.23 WHQL. This bug is 100% driver-caused and not madVR-caused. madVR is a very powerful and popular renderer, recently used by AnandTech to review HTPC performance of CPUs, GPUs, and Windows 8. This review can be found here - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6674/getting-the-best-out-of-an-ivy-bridge-htpc-windows-8-madvr-and-more/7 .

Te OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop bug can be easily reproduced if you:
1. Download and extract the latest madVR from here - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
2. Install the latest official 334.89 WHQL drivers, or any drivers other than 326.80 beta and 327.23 WHQL.
3. Activate madVR using the provided install.bat file
4. Select madVR as the main video renderer in any madVR supported player, such as Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, PotPlayer, JRiver, etc.
5. Select NNEDI3 for Chroma Upscalier in madVR settings
6. Play any video file supported by madVR
Since NNEDI3 chroma upscaler specifically utilizes OpenCL, the file video playback will have a heavy green tint to it, caused by OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop bug in nVidia drivers.

OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop bug has been reported before, but nVidia still hasn't fixed it. It is a shame that nVidia forces its graphics card owners and many videophiles to use much older drivers if they want to use madVR, which, again, is not the source of this problem. AMD drivers do not have this problem! If nVidia is to live up to its reputation as a brand that does care for and provide the best driver functionality, stability, and performance, in addition to the best image quality and video fidelity, then it should prompt;y prioritize fixing its OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop driver bug to have it fixed in the next upcoming beta drivers and official drivers. It should also continuously verify that OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop is fully functional before each and every beta and official driver release in the future."

How does this sound? Corrections are welcome since English is my 4th language and things started to get a bit confusing for me after I mastered 3 .