View Single Post
Old 11th July 2021, 20:34   #19204  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormMeows View Post
How is the quality of Ripbot x264 8 bit going to compare to Staxrip? I read that the more threads that I use on my AMD processor, the more it degrades the overall quality. Is that why Staxrip only typically uses 60-75% of my CPU? Thanks
StaxRip does x265 chunk encoding by cutting frames into N chunks (simple arithmetic division of the total number of frames = equal chunking) if Input/Output > Chunks is set to N in x265 Options. But unlike RipBot, each chunk employs separate processes in the SAME CPU in StaxRip.

I don't know how RipBot cuts the frames for DE in different servers, but if it cuts the frames evenly by simple arithmetic division (equal chunking), the only difference b/w StaxRip and RipBot lies in whether different CPUs can be employed (RipBot) or not (StaxRip).

And equal chunking is obviously inferior to scene-aware chunking which cuts frames based on frame similarities via ffmpeg, etc.

If you're interested in scene-aware chunking in x265, you may want to try Av1an. But since it's a CLI app, it has some learning curve, though.

For reference, there was a request to implement scene-aware chunking in StaxRip, but it's put off as of now due to some difficult obstacles at the code level.

Anyway, my apologies for cluttering up this thread with StaxRip topics.

Last edited by JKyle; 11th July 2021 at 20:37.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote