View Single Post
Old 9th September 2020, 23:53   #37  |  Link
tugatomsk9
tugatomsk9

So, I ended up buying the Avermedia Game Capture HD II which generates mp4 video files.

The recorded video quality of the Avermedia device in "576i optimal" (for VHS content) is good, but not great. The 8bit AVC average bitrate of only 7500 kbps is merely serviceable. VLC player plays it fine, though. The aspect ratio is 1:1, apparently, resulting in 720x576 video files. I guess it makes resizing easier?

The VCR being used is primarily a 2003 Panasonic NV-FJ623, with an older mono Sony SLV-135 whenever tracking becomes an issue.

The recording process is somewhat convoluted because I lack a composite to HDMi converter (I've ordered one, it just hasn't arrived yet). The signal from the VCR passes through a Sony DVD recorder (Sony RDR HX-710) via SCART. Then, the signal from the component output of the Sony recorder enters the Avermedia through the component input via a composite cable. It may seem terrible, but guess what, it works great, all things considered!

I'm trying to adapt the earlier avisynth script to these new mp4 files. I'm using Virtualdub 1.10.4 as a frameserver so I can check for errors.

Another issue is light aliasing present in the original VHS playback, like this, albeit not as strong:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...nt-v-s-S-video

I tried figuring out if the aforementioned convoluted recording setup could be related to this. The conclusion is that it seems to be completely random, it doesn't happen all the time. I can't find a logical explanation. The tape in question was recorded in the late 80s with a long-gone National VHS VCR. There's no correlation with any of the cables used or the VCRs. Moreover, I used the Sony DVD recorder plenty of times in the past without aliasing issues.

To make matters worse, opening the avisynth script in Virtualdub is only sucessful if I don't use QTGMC, santiag (trying to test its anti-aliasing). It returns the error "File does not have a video stream"...

I even dumped the whole original mp4 in Virtualdub just so I could figure out if it was a case of fields swapped. I used "Field Swapping" in Virtualdub but it did not improve things.

EDIT: Here's a sample video.
https://mega.nz/file/aZBSyQZY#cPYbb4...1ywo51OREItECs

Right at the start of the video, notice the aliasing on the characters's contour lines.

Last edited by tugatomsk9; 10th September 2020 at 00:49. Reason: more info
tugatomsk9 is offline   Reply With Quote