View Single Post
Old 14th January 2021, 20:39   #7  |  Link
kap'n krunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Greetings kap'n, from a sound engineer here.
Many thanks for your file.
Now we see a partially cleaned body, somebody wiped the traces before the coroner was called in;-)
An often heard sentence here at doom9: "Please post an unprocessed sample".
If you already applied cleaning, how shall anybody guess what the reason could be ?

But still what I can hear in the first seconds of the lead-in groove sounds familiar to me.
It matches the noise any laptop can generate.
Well, that does not exclude towers.

Here some DELL XPS M1710 are in use.
While performing repairs and checking schematics I can hear GPU and display lines send such noise.
It can be picked up by any magnetic sensing coil.
Guitar pickups, Rhodes pickups, Hammond pickups, unshielded audio transformers. Record Stylus pickups ? Why not.
Here In my setup I can literally hear that screeching change as columns or lines of screen content are updated.

How was your capture setup ? Which ADC did you choose ?
Which data connction to PC/Mac ? Find out about any possible ground loop.
Insert ground loop filter between RIAA amp, ADC, Mac/PC.
If capturing audio: Use glassfiber where you can. No ground loops.

As with neilwilkes' case the fault might not have been cut into the groove,
rather introduced by faulty capturing setup. There it was a blacklight lamp with a SMPS.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=182064
Thanks for your reply!

I only processed the clicks and pops, no noise cancellation was done.

As for the capturing, it was done directly from the TT (non-detachable factory cables) to the ProJect Preamp and then some quite good cables-not the cheapo kind but not the $5K ones-, to the MOTU 828es inputs and that was Thunderbolt to the Mac Mini.
I capture all of my LPs with that gear and I could post some other rips done before and after doing this one and none show that kind of noise. I even tried to consider EMF meddling but I ruled it out when I saw the previous and subsequent rips.

Will definitely look into the glassfiber cables.

as for neilwilkes' posts, Ii had been following them and they were extremely helpful and eye opening (I made sure that there were no lamps or weird ground loops during this capture).

As for other japanese masterings from the same years I did find that the ones I mentioned DID have similar noise with harmonics but they were way higher.

Last night I was capturing "My Fair Lady" in Stereo (early 60s Columbia Masterworks pressing...yes, I like some musicals I found it in a thrift shop and the pressing was VERY clean) and it shows no signs of any "modulation noise" like on the Boston LP, I could upload the side if you want me to...here is the capture from the first seconds...
Attached Images

kap'n krunch is offline   Reply With Quote