View Single Post
Old 30th December 2015, 01:29   #190  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
Just to make sure I got you right: You are saying that LL on is better for darker scenes while LL off is better for brighter ones? Which one do you prefer?
An SuperRes is mostly a case of more helps more? SuperRes seems to hide some SVP artifacts btw. Especially the halos on panning camera movements and bright background seem less agressive with SuperRes.
In what cases is SuperRes harming the image? Are those cases negligible?
To be honest I do not use SuperRes or SVP (I cannot handle SVP's artifacts). I find SuperRes adds back minor aliasing which was present in the source and which NNEDI3 doubling removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
I do think that NNEDI64 chroma doubling helps image quality if you also do luma doubling. Before doing SoftCubic upscaling that is.

What do you think about SuperRes for chroma upscaling refinement (for film content)? Does it improve the picture without the overly sharp look of Jinc? Do you use it and if yes, what settings do you use?
I would bet it is desirable for anime.
I agree that there is something nice about using NNEDI3 chroma doubling when using luma doubling but I generally do not like NNED3 chroma upscaling. I always use Jinc AR for image upscaling and I do not consider Jinc very sharp.

I normally use Jinc AR for chroma upscaling except for very low resolution sources when I sometimes use NNEDI3 64. I never use SuperRes for chroma. I also quite like Mitchell-Netravali without AR for chroma upscaling, when testing I tend to pick one or the other depending on the source (and mood? ). SoftCubic is a bit too soft for me unless the source is very low quality.

I have never found universal settings for upscaling refinement, my optimal settings are entirely source dependent.