Thread: Firefox Addons
View Single Post
Old 27th February 2021, 09:15   #16  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

This is not a firefox addon, but is a firefox tweak to restore old behaviour for the HTTPS padlock on address bar
(used to be green but is now grey - a bit disconcerting to not know why its now grey)

From GHacks.net [how-to-restore-the-green-lock-icon-in-firefoxs-address-bar]
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/10/28/ho...s-address-bar/

or simply

Code:
Restore the Firefox green HTTPS security lock color to green

Making Firefox`s padlock icon green again
1    Load about:config in the Firefox address bar.
2    Confirm that you will be careful if a warning screen is displayed.
3    Use the search at the top to find security.secure_connection_icon_color_gray.
4    Toggle the preference so that its value is FALSE.

Restoring Extended Validation Certificate information in Firefox

1    Visit the about:config page again.
2    Search for security.identityblock.show_extended_validation this time.
3    Set the preference to TRUE to enable the display of extended validation information in the browser's address bar.

Display "Not Secure" for sites that don't use HTTPS

1    Visit about:config in the Firefox address bar.
2    Search for security.insecure_connection_text.enabled.
3    Set the value of the preference to TRUE to enable "not secure" or FALSE to disable it.
     Bonus: If you want to apply the change to private browsing connections as well,
      search for security.insecure_connection_text.pbmode.enabled and set the value accordingly.
I feel happier now.

Also,for those wanting to test out security for
1) Firewall
2) ISP port blocking
3) HTTPS Interception Detection (are you being spied upon by your ISP, school, employer, even when banking, passwords etc)

see GRC.Com [Gibson Research, by Steve Gibson, author of SpinRite - been visiting this site for years].

EDIT: Microsoft sells a proxy (cant remember the name) whose specific job is to spy upon a companies employees,
my mate is a sys admin who does not dare use company provided desktops/laptops/phones etc for anything that needs [EDIT: personal] security/privacy.
(He even switches off his company provided phone after work so that they dont know where he is,
big prestigious UK corporation, offices in [I think] 70+ countries, spies on everything)
EDIT: 3) above, is another check for the proxy spy thing that the green security lock of FireFox is for.
MicroSoft's Internet Explorer [and presumably Edge] do not have the security lock thing, as it would expose the use of their despicable proxy whotsit and they like to keep it secret from users to maintain their subterfuge [when you 'squirt' down someones leg, its best to tell them its raining].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th February 2021 at 14:20.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote